This Romani Bible is translated from the Hebrew and Greek interlinear texts into the Balt-Slavonic (Belarus-Lithuanian) Romani dialect, which belongs to the Baltic Romani language group. The Baltic Roma are scattered over a huge area, ranging from the borders of Germany and Poland to the edge of Siberia near the Pacific Ocean. They make up the main Roma population in Russia, Belarus, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Kazakhstan. Baltic Roma can also be found in Ukraine, Moldova, Finland and China, where they live alongside other Roma. The Baltic Roma are characterised by similar ethnic and cultural traditions. They speak similar dialects and sub-dialects, which are all mutually understandable. The Baltic Roma are divided into different ethnic sub-groups, based on their dialects and sub-dialects, their parental origin, ancestral history, and “self-definition”. Those sub-groups are known under different names, which derive from their respective dialect or sub-dialect, paternal family origin, family clan΄s name, and domicile. Within every sub-group, different titles (nicknames based on family origin) are used to refer to the individual clans. There have been several attempts to translate God΄s Word into Baltic-Romani dialects.
Baltic Romani Bible
The following list gives a brief overview of publications of the Bible and religious literature in different Baltic-Romani dialects.
– In 1933, the Roma missionary Janis Leimanis (1886–1954) translated the Gospel of John, the Lord΄'s Prayer, and the Ten Commandments into the Latvian Romani (Chúkhno) dialect. His translations were published in Riga.
– In 1990, religious poems reflecting biblical truth, written by the Polish Rom Kororо Mursh (Blind Valiant), were published by Roma Publications, Chandigarh, India.
– In 1993, the poet and translator Dzura Makhotin had his book “The Story About Jesus”, written in the combined Northern-Russian / Vlakh Romani dialect, published by the printing house Dzhudеs, Tver, Russia.
– In 1996, V. Kalinin and T. Voytsekhovskaya published their translation of Matthew΄s Gospel in Balt-Slavonic Romani in Vitebsk, Belarus.
– In 1999, the Gospel of Matthew in Lithuanian Romani and the Gospel of John in Balt-Slavonic Romani, both translated from the Greek originals, were published by GBV Dillenburg, Germany.
– In 2000, the Latvian Bible Society (L.B.B.), Riga, published Luke΄s Gospel in Latvian Romani. This translation was completed by V. Kalinin and Karlis Rudevichs, based on a rough script by Janis Neilands (1919–1999), who had translated the text into his native Latvian Romani Kurzemiaki dialect in 1994.
– In 2001, GBV Dillenburg, Germany, published the New Testament / Psalms / Proverbs in Balt-Slavonic (Belarus-Lithuanian) Romani, translated by V. Kalinin.
– In 2014, the complete Bible was published by DCL, Biel, and MiDi Bible, Préverenges, Switzerland. This translation into Balt-Slavonic (Belarus-Lithuanian) Romani by V. Kalinin comprised not only the Old and New Testaments but also some information on the Roma and their history, plus linguistic supplements and a glossary.
– In 2019, the complete Bible in Baltic Romani was produced in Cyrillic and transliterated into Roman script and entered into the Digital Bible Library.
An Bibel Kernewek 2020An Bíobla Naomhtha 1817 (Bedell)An Sowter 1997Aneityum Gospels 1863Ashiri Aeuitaknup, Iyohaichish, Yona 1897Baiberi Magwaro Matȿene aMŋari 1949 (Doke)Beibl Cymraeg Newydd Diwygiedig 2004Beibl Cymraeg Newydd Diwygiedig yn cynnwys yr Apocryffa 2004Beibl William Morgan - Argraffiad 1955Beibl William Morgan yn cynnwys yr Apocryffa - Argraffiad 1959Bibela ea Boitsépho 1890 (Sechuana Tlhaping - Moffatt Bible)Biblija - Pe Baltitko Romani čib (Romanes) 2019Book Hoa Matthew 1816Bullom So Prayer Book Selections 1816Contemporary English Version (Anglicised) 2012Criscote e Majaró Lucas 1872 (Caló)Cyfieithiad Briscoe 1853-94 (Test. Newydd a rhannau o'r Hen Dest.)Darby's Translation 1890Detholiad o’r Salmau 1936 (Lewis Valentine)Diɛt ke Dabid 1956Douay-Rheims Challoner Revision 1752Duw ar waith - Y Newyddion da yn ôl Marc 1990E devléskoro sfjato lil e Ísus-Xristóskoro džiipé thai meribé e sfjatoné Lukéstar 1912 (Arlija Balkan Romani - Bulharsko)Ediția Dumitru Cornilescu revizuită 2019Embéo e Majaró Lucas 1837 (Caló)Enjil Yesu 1912 (Nubian Kenuzi Gospels)Fu in Ma-tai 1904Féké Testament 1947Good News BibleGood News Bible (Anglicised)Good News Bible (Catholic edition in Septuagint order)I Ghiléngheri Ghília Salomunéskero an i Rômáni tćib 1875 (Sinte - Italia)Iaai Bible 1901 (New Caledonia)Iesu Keriso imo pai-dubi naiba kitouti dubu nou pai mea 1941Inji’l i Muqaddas 1955Isezerano Risha 1967Iṅǵīl Yesū El-Messīhnilin, Markosin Fāyisīn Nagittā 1885Joannostir Svencono lačopheniben 1933 (Latvia)Juɛl a pwɔdɛn tɛ Mak 1947Jóhannesar Evangelium 1908Kitab Alkudus: Injil Isa Almasih 1866 (Keasberry)Kushti Bokkengro 1985Kushti Lavs (Romany Selections) 1981L' Sâint Évàngile Siévant Sâint Makyu 1863 (Georges Métivier)La Sankta Biblio 1926 (Esperanto Londona Biblio)Lek Jot de Jecu Kritho 1940Lemefeme da Yesu Kristo. Markus 1915 (Bacama)Levr ar Psalmou 1873 (Williams)Lingjili Matthew ki nache 1816Lioar ny Psalmyn 1765 (Pointed)Lis Evangèli 1903 (Provençal)Lu Vanzèli seònd S. Matìe 1860Ma'di Book of Ruth 1938MakrMark añgw’a téndé 1938Marku mau sau 1951; ZaiwaMattheo 1911 (Evangelho de S. Mattheus - XiPuthshu)Methelokên Hezretê Silêman 1947Ne Saint John 1804Ne Saint Mark 1774Noo Ean 1936Noo Mian 1748O Devlikano lil e Sumnale Lukahtar 1936 (Bosnia)O Evangelio Jezus Kristusester pala Markus 1912 (Sinte)O keriben pal e Devleskre bičhade 1936 (Morava)Ootech oochu Takeh niya-Tinkles St. Mark 1886Pened balid Yoliánesà 1888Predigimo ä Johannesko 1930Psalms of David in Metre 1650 (Scottish Psalter)Psalmyn Ghavid 1761 (Metrical)Revised Version 1885Revised Version with Apocrypha 1885, 1895Rut, la Cantica di li Cantici, e Matteu 1861 (volgarizzato in dialetto siciliano)Salmau Cân 1621 (Edmwnd Prys)Salmau Cân Newydd 2008 (Gwynn ap Gwilym)Salmau Dafydd Broffwyd 1603 (Edward Kyffin)Segala Surat Perdjanjian Baharu Maha Besar Tuhan Jesus Christos 1877Sherbro Parables in Matthew and Luke 1839St Paul from the Trenches 1916Tandu tani adea ngoro ta tišile Marako tini. Tandu tani adea ngoro ta tišile Matayo tini.Te Paipera Tapu 1952Testamant Nevez 1897 (Jenkins)Testament Newydd Salesbury - Argraffiad 1850Testament Newydd a'r Salmau Salesbury 1567Testament ke Siki 1960 (Kabba Laka)The Drom 1995Tolomaku Portions 1909Uet-Apuaté Etong Luka 1905Vangheilu al Matheu 1889Wel puat̤ ci Mak ke gor 1916Wester Boswell Scripture Selections 1874Y Ffordd Newydd - 4 Efengyl mewn Cymraeg Byw 1971Yn Apocrypha (Broderick) 1979Yn Apocrypha 1772Yn Conaant Noa 1810Yn Vible Casherick 1819Young's Literal Translation 1898Zabúr 1863 (Roman Urdū)Évangile de Saint Matthieu 1855 (de Sacy)Библия - Пэ Балтитко Романи чиб (Романэс) 2019Библия Думитру Корнилеску 1924Біблія в пер. Івана Огієнка, 1962ꓟ˗ꓘꓳ ꓕꓰ˗ꓷ 1932
Highlight or Bookmark your favorite verses, make Verse Images that you can share, and attach public or private Notes to Bible passages.Create Your Free Account
Bible Plans help you engage with God's Word every day, a little at a time.Browse All Plans
Tens of millions of people are using the Bible App™ to make God's Word a part of their daily lives. Download the free app and access your bookmarks, notes, and reading plans from anywhere. Enjoy hundreds of versions, including audio, all on your mobile device.