"DISTRACTIONS AND ADHD"
Reading the Bible and praying consistently can be particularly challenging for people who are easily distracted or have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Having a consistent quiet time can be challenging for those who get easily bored or have trouble paying attention. Remember that God created you uniquely to worship Him in creative ways. Refocus your attention on Christ and experience His presence within you as you are persistent in following Him.
• I challenge you to begin your time today by asking God to help you focus your mind on His Word for at least ten minutes. In Luke 24:45 it says, “Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.” God can calm your mind as you meditate and tune in your heart to listen to what He has to say to you today. Use the questions relating to Colossians 3:1-2 to jump-start your time.
• Meditate on these questions:
o What does it mean to be raised up with Christ?
o How can you better seek things above?
o What are some things you can do to set your mind?
Ideas to provide variety to your quiet time:
• Try listening to Scripture and write down any verse that catches your attention or speaks to your heart.
• If you have artistic abilities, try illustrating today’s verse in a journal or even in the margins of your Bible.
• If you are gifted with musical talent, enhance your time of meditation on the Word by singing or listening to worship music.