Day Three: Now Is For Forever
Did you realize that once you arrive at your final destination (heaven, if you are a believer), you will no longer have any opportunities to serve God on earth? Once you are in eternity, you cannot return to the temporal and do any more for God. We learned about this in yesterday's entry when you listened to the audio message on Luke 14.
Friend, this is it.
This is your time.
This is your season.
What you do with your life NOW – matters, not just for the NOW but for ALWAYS.
In today’s reading entry, I want you to remember the importance of linking your dream and purpose with your rewards later. Because if your “dream” has nothing to do with bringing God glory and other people good … then it is not the dream put in you from God. His dream for your life will always involve eternity.
That is one important way of distinguishing between God's dream for you and other's peoples' demands.
God has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart …. Ecclesiastes 3:11.
What you do today will matter for forever. Most people don’t realize that. Most people don’t use an eternal grid when deciphering and ultimately pursuing their dreams. But unless you pursue the dream God Himself has for you, you won’t be able to tap into the abundance of resources, strength, wisdom and power He also has for you in order to carry out your dream(s) to fruition.
Read Luke 14:12-14
“He said also to the man who had invited him, ‘When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothersor your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.’”
1. Based on this passage, who are you supposed to invite to a dinner party? Why?
2. Who are you NOT supposed to invite? Why?
3. When will you be repaid (by Jesus) for giving to people who cannot pay you back on earth?
4. What do you think it means to “be repaid” for doing good to others? Can you describe what that may look like?
5. Knowing that you WILL be repaid for all the good you do for others on earth who cannot pay you back, how does that impact your motivation to help other people?
6. In what way does your “dream” or your “dreams” intersect with things that will bring about good or blessing to others?
7. Is it necessary to work in full-time ministry or for a church in order to initiate good works for God? Why or why not?
Close out with this prayer:
Dear Lord, I want to do something for You today. I want to do something for You each day. Please nudge me when You want me to do something that will bring You glory and others good. In Christ’s name, amen.
We hope this Plan encouraged you. Connect with Bruce Wilkinson and Heather Hair in their helpful book "Prayers of Blessing Over Your Marriage" by clicking this link.