New Testament Summary:
It is over 6 centuries since Babylonian captivity and over 4 centuries since the last leader to rise to the level of the other prophets. Again, humanity, more so, the Israelite nation has slipped into an irrecoverable downward spiral. Their only hope is Jesus, the Savior, God in human form. The perfect role model; the perfect teacher; the perfect leader.
In what way does the New Testament contrast with the Old Testament (OT)? It is the same:
2. His character
4. Relationship with us
5. Wickedness of man
6. Behavior of God’s people
It is only our perception and understanding that has increased with the revelation of Jesus. In the OT there are:
- Imperfect people communicating a perfect message
- Imperfect people practicing a perfect law
Jesus never says the law is irrelevant; he condemns the practice of it.
Jesus speaks, demonstrates and fulfills the law. (Heb 1:1-4)
The New Testament content is summarized as follows:
1. The Gospels – Life and teachings of Jesus
2. The Acts of the apostles
3. Paul’s letters
4. Other letters
5. The Revelation - a grand majestic finale
The New Testament brings:
- The Unveiling (2 Corinthians 3:18): Through Jesus, son of God, His nature, His plans.
- The Father: The usage of God as Father is much more in the NT, after Jesus refers and introduces Him in as our Father - Luke 15:17, 1 John 3:1, etc.
- The only Savior: Acts 4:12. Also Philippians 3:20, 1 Timothy 1:15
- The perfect leader and role model in:
o Christ’s words - Matthew 16:24, Matthew 20:25-28, John 13:13-16
o Paul’s words - 1 Corinthians 11:1, Ephesians 5:1-2, Colossians 3:13
o Peter’s words - 1 Peter 2:20-22
o John’s words - 1 John 2:6, 1 John 3:15-16
- The Spirit: Christ’s virtual presence in our lives - Romans 8:9, 1 Peter 1:11, Galatians 4:6, Romans 8:2
- The Word: Christ, the embodiment of God’s word - Psalm 33:4, Matthew 4:4, John 1:1
- The Future: Matthew 24, Revelation, etc. The scattering and regathering of Israel through immense struggle is clearly evident with the immense struggle over centuries and its rebirth in 1948 by “no human hand.”
Today it is the only Jehovah worshiping nation in the world. It is coming together for Christ’s second coming ushering in a new era. Are we established in His Kingdom practices?