Abstain from Sexual Sin
Sexual sin is a problem among college students. A 2018 Barna survey found that 76% of 18-to-24-year-old Christians actively seek out and are the most frequent users of porn. Another study found that 95% of young adults talk about pornography in a neutral or accepting way. Only 1 in 20 say their friends think it is wrong; many believe that not recycling is more immoral than pornography.
There’s more to sex than mere skin on skin. Sex is as much spiritual mystery as physical fact; “the two become one” (1 Corinthians 6:16). Because we want to become spiritually one with the Master, we must not pursue sex that avoids commitment and intimacy. That kind of sex is never enough. Abstain from all forms of sexual sin—pornography, adultery, incest, promiscuity, and sex outside of marriage, or fornication. How do you overcome sexual sin?
1. Agree with God. Sexual sins are different from other sins. In sexual sin we violate the sacredness of our bodies, given to us by God to model God’s love in becoming one with another. Your body is sacred; it is the place of the Holy Spirit. You cannot live however you please, squandering what God paid such a high price for. Your body is not your property; it belongs to God.
2. Understand the dynamics of attraction. Men are often attracted by a woman’s looks. Understand this and turn your eyes away. If you’re dating a woman who dresses provocatively, get away from her. Women are more attracted by what men say. Women, if a guy’s giving you sweet-talk to get you to do things that are ungodly, tell him to shut up, and get away from him.
3. Pray for God’s help. He always makes a way of escape when we're tempted. Pray the Holy Spirit will release you from bondage and make you clean in thought and deed.
4. Become accountable. It might take drastic measures. You may have to get rid of some things, turn off some stuff, and tell others to hold you accountable, but you can do it.
5. Make a covenant with your eyes. Do not look lustfully at others. This does not mean that when you get saved, you poke your eyes out. You can still see that a woman is beautiful or a man is handsome. But have some sense! Don’t destroy yourself.