A Helpful Way To Begin To Pray
If you’ve ever been intimidated by prayer, you’re not alone. We want the peace, power, and confidence that comes from talking to God. But we often don’t know where to start or what to say.
Jesus’ disciples experienced the same emotions. In Luke 11, they ask Jesus to teach them to pray. In the verses that follow, Jesus gives us a helpful model for how to talk to God.
Praise God for who He is and what He’s done. Repent of where we’ve fallen short. Ask for what we need. Yield to His will and hear what He has to say. Praise, repent, ask, yield. Or for an easy way to remember it: PRAY.
- What do you love about God?
- What are some ways God is good at being God?
- What are you thankful for today?
- Is there any area of your life where you’re withholding forgiveness?
- Is there any area of your life where you need forgiveness?
- Is there any area of your life where you’re lacking faith or wondering if God really is good? If so, take a few minutes to tell Him how you feel. It’s OK. He can take it.
- What do you need as you walk into your day?
- Is there any area where you lack love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, or self-control? This is the time to ask God for what you need.
- What do you need to hear from God today?
- Pause for a minute. What do you feel the Spirit saying to you as you sit in stillness?