God’s Solution for Anxiety
The apostle Paul knew a lot about anxiety. He dealt with difficulties, hardships, trials, imprisonments, beatings, sufferings, and persecutions—just to name a few. But listen to what he has to say in Philippians 4:4-7:
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
You can look to this passage penned by Paul and inspired by the Holy Spirit to find God’s solution for any anxiety or worry you face.
1. You must acknowledge what you’re anxious, worried, or concerned about. You have to be willing to get honest with yourself and admit that you’re struggling with anxiety. As long as you ignore your anxiety, it’s going to poison you, taking a toll on your life. Be willing to find the courage to face your anxieties and worries head on.
2. Bring your concerns to the Father in the spirit of thanksgiving. Remember that the Lord is always near. Come before Him with thanksgiving, expressing gratitude to Him for being your God, loving you unconditionally, hearing your prayers, understanding exactly where you are, and being willing and ready to help you.
3. Let your request be made known to God. Tell God everything that concerns you. Share with him your anxieties, worries, fears, and uncertainties, then ask Him to help you overcome them once and for all.
4. Believe that He loves you, hears your prayers, and promises to help you. Be fully convinced that not only does God love you and hear your prayers, but He has promised to help you overcome and defeat any difficulty you face.
5. Trust that He has the power and provision to accomplish what you ask. Remember your all-powerful, all-knowing, omniscient, omnipresent God has provided all you will need to overcome the anxieties and worries consuming you. By the might of His Spirit, His power is not only available to you, but resides within you to help you overcome and to work all things together for your good.
6. Rest in the peace and knowledge that God will give you the victory. The peace of God will garrison you about, which means that the Father will exchange your anxiety for His peace. He will cover you and protect you with it, building an impenetrable wall of protection around you. It’s a matter of simply giving your concerns to Him.
Anxious thoughts and situations will always present themselves in this life, but how long you hold on to the anxiety—that’s the key. Whatever you’re going through, I promise that if you’ll take the passage from Philippians mentioned above and meditate upon it, asking God to work in your heart, He promises He will give you a peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil. 4:7). I’ve watched Him do it time and again in my own life, and I know He will do it for you.
Friend, you don’t have to live in anxiety unless you choose to. I pray the Father will help you overcome your anxiety and lead you to victory once and for all. If you’re willing to trust Him, He will set you free.
Discover more reading plans like this one at intouch.org/plans.