Thoughts on the message
Here is another aspect of revelation - understanding what it means.
The teachers of the law said that it had to happen one way – God did it in a different way. It is easy to feel we understand what the revelation (dream, vision, etc.) means but really miss it completely.
Here are somethings I have learned:
· Interpretation will be consistent with the Word of God. God’s Word is the standard.
· Interpretation will be consistent with the heart of God – His love, mercy, grace, justice and truth.
· It will give honor to God, His ways, His bride the Church, etc. It is not about us, our great intellect, or our insight.
· Do not make it a private interpretation. Let other godly people review it for accuracy.
· Do not be afraid of symbolic versus literal interpretation. Again, let the above tests determine whether it is literal or symbolic.
· BE CAREFUL. Interpreting revelation exposes our biases – what we want it to mean. Let God reveal what He wants to reveal – it will often be a challenge to us and what we believe.
Father, these religious people did not interpret Your revelation correctly – because they did not want to believe John’s testimony and they did not want to accept Jesus. Their hearts were exposed. Today, I ask that You expose my heart with Your Word. Show me where what I believe is right and consistent with Your heart. Show me also where I am not in alignment with Your heart and Your will – and give me a humble heart to repent and receive correction. You reveal Your heart to draw me closer to You – and I want that for my life. I ask this in Jesus’ name Amen.