4. The Holy Spirit gives us strength and power to serve.
a. In the Old Testament:
- Joshua with leadership skills and wisdom (Josh 1:9; Deut. 34:9),
- The Judges – “The Spirit of the LORD came upon” Othniel in Judg. 3:10, Gideon in 6:34, Jephthah in 11:29, and Samson in 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14.
- King Saul in battle – 1 Samuel 11:6)
- David - “the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward” (1 Sam. 16:13),
- Bezalel with artistic skills - In a slightly different kind of empowering, the Holy Spirit endowed Bezalel with artistic skills for the construction (Ex. 31:3; 35:31)
- The prophecies of Ezekiel - Ezek. 2:2; 3:24
- In Exile when the Hebrew Children were in the fire and Daniel in the Lion’s Den – Daniel 3, 6
- In the rebuilding of Jerusalem’s wall – Nehemiah, Ezra and Haggai.
- Finally, the Old Testament predicted a time when the Holy Spirit would anoint a Servant-Messiah in great fullness and power: Isa. 11:2–3
b. New Testament
- The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at his baptism – John 1:32
- When Jesus returned from Temptation - Luke 4:1
- When Jesus came to preach in the synagogue at Nazareth, he declared that Isaiah’s prophecy was fulfilled in himself: Luke 4:18–19
- In miracles – Luke 4:36, John 3:34-35
- In Jesus commissioning the disciples – Acts 1:8
- Empowering Peter in Acts 2 and 4
- Empowering the disciples in Acts 3-5
- Empowering Stephen in Acts 6
- Empowering Philip in Acts 8.
- In giving gifts to believers – 1 Cor 12
- In the prayer lives of individual believers – Rom. 8:26
- To overcome darkness - Acts 13:9–11.