WEEK EIGHT: THE FAITHFULNESS OF GOD
Introduction: What’s the source of your hope?
1. We all depend on something or someone to “hold us up” inside.
2. When that something or someone is “coming through for us” we experience a sense of peace, satisfaction, and optimism about the future.
3. When that something or someone fails to "come through for us” we experience a sense of anxiety, dissatisfaction, and ultimately despair.
· Conclusion: It seems that the secret to a life of unending
joy and peace is to find something or someone who will
“come through for you” 100% of the time in any and every situation forever.
· The Solution: Lamentations 3:21-24
Defining the Faithfulness of God
· Definition = Steadfast in affection or allegiance –loyal.
· Synonyms – Dependable, trustworthy, loyal, staunch,
resolute, constant, reliable, true to one’s word, keeps one’s promises, true to and consistent to one’s character, someone who "comes through for you."
Why is God able to be Faithful 100% of the time?
1. He is all-knowing – He is never caught off guard. (Romans 11:33-36)
2. He is all-powerful – He never encounters anything or anyone who can thwart His plans or purposes.
3. He is holy – He is pure, honest, full of integrity, unable to lie,and therefore, is always consistent with His character and His Word. (Isaiah 6:1-6)
4. He is eternal – He is not affected by space or time;
He knows the end from the beginning. (Psalm 90:2)
5. He is omnipresent – Nothing can happen outside the
sphere of His influence. (Psalm 139:7-11)
6. He is immutable – He never changes; is never different then He is now, He is never in a bad mood, and never has a bad day. (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8)
“All of God’s acts are consistent with all of His attributes. No attribute contradicts any other, but all harmonize and blend into each other in the infinite abyss of the Godhead. …He is at once faithful and immutable, so all His words and acts must be and must remain faithful.” --- A.W. Tozer – The Knowledge of the Holy
· Summary: God is 100% faithful to His Word, His promises, His people, and His character because He cannot be otherwise. He will never let you down!
How does God reveal His Faithfulness to us?
· Through His CREATION (Psalm 119:89-90)
· Through His PEOPLE
o The Patriarchs (Genesis 12:1-3)
o David (Psalm 132:11)
o The Church (Matthew 16:18)
· Through His CHARACTER
o The Father (Numbers 23:19)
o The Spirit (Galatians 5:23)
o The Son (Revelation 19:11)
· Through His WORD (Isaiah 55:10-11)
o His Word is true (John 17:17)
o He keeps His covenants (Deuteronomy 7:9)
o He keeps His promises (Hebrews 10:23)
o He fulfills His predictions (Isaiah 42:8-10)
· Through His SHAPING of our lives when . ..
o We are weak (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
o We are tempted (1 Corinthians 10:13)
o We sin (1 John 1:9)
o We utterly fail (2 Timothy 2:11-13)
How can we respond to God’s Faithfulness?
1. Put your PAST behind you today!
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us
our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John. 1:9)
2. Bring your PRESENT problems, pains, and failures to Jesus today!
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
3. Put your HOPE for the future in the One who will never let you down!
This is what the Lord says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and shoes heart turns away from the Lord. That person will be like a bush in the wastelands; they will not see prosperity when it comes. They will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives. But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:5-8)
1. What in your past needs to be put behind you?
2. What present circumstance do you need to bring to Jesus