Question: What makes you think your god is better than everyone else’s god?
Answer: The God I worship . . .
• . . . is before all things. (Colossians 1:17, Psalm 90:2, Revelation 1:8, 1 Timothy 6:16)
• . . . created all things. (Genesis 1:1, John 1:3, Colossians 1:16)
• . . . upholds all things. (Hebrews 1:3, Colossians 1:17)
• . . . is above all things. (Ephesians 4:6, Isaiah 45:5-12)
• . . . knows all things. (Isaiah 46:10, Psalm 139:4,6)
• . . . can do all things. (Jeremiah 32:27, Luke 1:37)
• . . . accomplishes all things. (Isaiah 14:24 & 46:10, Ephesians 1:11)
• . . . rules over all things. (Daniel 4:34-35, 1 Chronicles 29:11-12)
• . . . is in control of all things. (Job 42:2, Romans 8:28)
- earthly kings (Proverbs 21:1, Revelation 19:16)
- human events (Daniel 2 & 7, Psalm 33:9-11)
- good angels (Colossians 1:15-16, Revelation 4:8)
- Satan & bad angels (Job 1:6, Ephesians 1:21, Philippians 2:10)
- human decisions (Ephesians 1:11, Romans 8:29-30, Acts 2:23;13:48)
In a word, I worship the Sovereign God of the universe.
Defining the Sovereignty of God:
• Sovereign = adj. (1) above or superior to all others;chief; greatest; supreme (2) supreme in power, rank, orauthority
(3) of or holding the position of ruler; royal; reigning (4) independent of all others (5) excellent; outstanding – n. (1) a person who possesses sovereign authority or power; specific, a monarch or ruler
• Synonymous meaning = ruler, ultimate authority, “in control,” King of kings, Lord of lords, without equal,without limitation in any way, the only absolutely free being in the universe.
"The sovereignty of God is that which separates the God of the Bible from all other religions, truth claims, or philosophies.
When we say God is sovereign, we declare that by virtue of His creatorship over all life and reality, and His all-knowing, all-powerful, and benevolent rule, that He is in fact the Lord of all lord, King of all kings, and in absolute control of time and eternity.
Nothing will come into my life today that He did not either allow or decree for my ultimate good."
- C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
How does God reveal His Sovereignty to us?
• Through His Titles- Sovereign Lord, Most High God, Alpha and Omega, Kings of Kings, Lord of Lords
• Through His Promises
- Romans 8:28-3
- Philippians 2:9-11
• Through Prophecy
- Daniel 2:27
- Isaiah 44:6-8
- Daniel 7-12 (kingdoms predicted)
• Through Christ
- His supernatural birth (Galatians 4:4, Matthew 2:3-6)
- His perfect life - fulfilled 100s of prophecies (Matthew 4:14; Matthew 12:15-21)
- His Messianic teaching (John 8:48-58)
- His willful death and miraculous resurrection (John 10:17-18)
- His ultimate reign (Acts 1:9-11; Revelation 19:11-16)
Two questions the Sovereignty of God raises:
1. If God is sovereign, why did/does He allow evil, pain,and suffering? (The Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis)
2. If God is sovereign over all people and events in history, doesn't this make a sham of human responsibility? (Chosen But Free, Norman Geisler)
How must we respond to the Sovereign God?
1. Bow before the King of the universe. (Philippians 2:9-11)
- Application: Absolute SURRENDER of all you are and all you have!
2. Believe all that comes into your life is either allowed or decreed by a good God who will use it for your benefit. (Romans 8:28-29, Genesis 50:20)
- Application: Absolutely refuse to WORRY!
3. Behold in awe the mystery and majesty of His kind, compassionate, just, and sovereign rule of all that is or will ever be. (Romans 11:33-36, Genesis 50:20)
- Application: WORSHIP God for who He is, not merely for what He has done!
1. Share the greatest comfort you experience right now because of the sovereignty of God, with a friend or family member.
2. Take some time to look up and read the passages in these notes.
3. For more in depth study, write out the passages and then your response in prayer.