Nebuchadnezzar's Strategy (Culture): Change the way they think. How?
- Changed location (vv. 1-4b).
- Change education—indoctrinating Babylonian thoughts (vv. 4c, 5)
- Changed language. (v. 4c)
- Change diet—Food dedicated to pagan gods. (v. 5)
- Changed names: (v. 7) – Original names related to Yahweh
Each name carried with it a testimony to the person of God.
- Daniel - God is my judge
- Hananiah - God is gracious
- Mishael - God is without equal
- Azariah - The Lord is my helper
When they arrived in Babylon, they were given new names.
- Daniel became Belteshazzar - Which means, "Bel will protect."
- Hananiah became Shadrach - Which means, "Inspiration of the Sun."
- Mishael became Meshach - Which means, "Belonging to Aku."
- Azariah became Abednego - Which means, "Servant of Nego."
New environment = new threats and influence
Influence: Think, Believe, Behave