Going Deeper is designed for use with your small group, a friend or on you own. Its aim is to create time for you to spend with God and his word. Do as much or as little as you like. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact one of our pastoral staff.
2. This Sunday we looked at the failure of, and restoration of Peter after he denied Jesus three times. What thoughts or questions did the message raise for you? Which ones encouraged you or posed a challenge to you?
3. Read John 18:15-27. In this passage, Peter “The Rock” has a major failure.In what ways can you relate to him? How do you process your failure with God? Do you tend to move away, or toward God during failures; challenges; temptations? Why? What impact does that have on your relationship with God?
4. Read Matthew 26:31-35. When have you felt confident in your ability to stand firm for God? When has that confidence been shattered? Read John 21:15-19. Jesus skillfully reminded Peter about his commitment and subsequent denial. Consider the question Jesus asked of Peter “Do you love me?” What about that question surprises you? Comforts you?
5. Share with your group how you might typically respond to someone who has grievously wronged you. How does that reflect (or not) the way Jesus responds to us? Do you believe that Jesus has forgiven you of every sin? Where might you need to move towards God to repent and be restored?
6. Take a moment of silence to consider how God is speaking to you through these verses. Is He asking you to make changes or to do something new? What concrete steps of response do you want to take? How can your group support you in these steps?