N3C MISSION/COMMUNITY 2
Three areas of vision and Growth
· Disciples making Disciples (Mission as a body of believers)
· Spiritual Health/Growth/Life (Maturity)
· Celebration (Encouragement)
DISCIPLES MAKING DISCIPLES
· Mission Communities
The Great Commission
Matthew 28:Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”
· GREAT COMMANDMENT
· GREAT COMMISSION
SPIRITUAL HEALTH AND COMMUNITY
· Emotional health and spiritual maturity are inseparable.
· Galatians 6:2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.
o Galatians 6:4-5 Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
o Be aware of your self and impact on others.
Root of Spiritual Health
· Luke 10:38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” 41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
· Martha’s experience represents the enemy of spiritual maturity..
Romans 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
· Transformed = the obligation being to undergo a complete change which, under the power of God, will find expression in character and conduct; morphe lays stress on the inward change, schema lays stress on the outward; the present continuous tenses indicate a process
· Think/Mind = reason in the narrower sense, as the capacity for spiritual truth, the higher powers of the soul, the faculty of perceiving divine things, of recognizing goodness and of hating evil: to be so changed that the spirit which governs the mind is renewed
· Learn To Know/Prove = To test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see whether a thing be genuine)
· Luke 8:14 The seeds that fell among the thorns represent those who hear the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. And so they never grow into maturity.
5 Phases of Transformation
The Action/Behavior GAP (Conflict of knowing yet not doing)
Spiritual Growth and Maturity is a series of Thresholds we willingly walk through
· The holy Spirit wants to walk us to new places of freedom and maturity
Ephesians 4:11 Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ. 13 This will continue until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.