Why God’s People Come to Church
#27 To Be Equipped to Do the Work of The Ministry 10.2.22
#1. To Worship God together.
#2. To be strengthened in Christ together.
#3. To be equipped to do the work of ministry.
#4. To conduct Kingdom business together.
#5. To be touched and made whole by Jesus.
#6. To be empowered to spread the Gospel.
1 Peter 4:10-11 New Living Translation God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. 11Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
1 Peter 4:11 The Message If words, let it be God’s words; if help, let it be God’s hearty
help. That way, God’s bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he’ll get all the credit as the One mighty in everything—encores to the end of time. Oh, yes.
Jeremiah 29:10-11 The Message This is God’s word on the subject: As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I am doing. 11I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Ephesians 5:17 The Message Don’t live carelessly, unthinking. Make sure you understand
what the Master wants.
I. The Nature of our training
Ephesians 4:11-13 NIV So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
II. Setting the stage for our training
A. Commonality -The Five-Fold Ministry
SHAPE - From The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
· Spiritual gifts - what does Heaven seem to help me do? (The Anointing makes things “easier”).
· Heart - what brings satisfaction and eagerness to my life. (“Just give me the bat.”)
· Abilities - what do I do that seems to produce life and results in the people around me?
· Personality - what am I truly like when I am most comfortable. (There will always be challenges.)
· Experiences - where has the hand of God led me? (“Everything is preparation.” - Corrie Ten Boom)
How do we discover our SHAPE?
· Prayer and seeking God (Antioch)
· The willingness to serve
· Discipleship basics
· Confirmation - The Spirit bears witness and the church confirms.
III. The Tools of our training
1. The Laying on of Hands
2. The Prophetic Word
3. The Sovereign Spirit
1. To become Disciples
2. Next Steps Class…membership