Why God’s People Come to Church
#25 To Worship God Together 9.11.22
Matthew 18:16-20 NASB But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated to them. 17And when they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to follow all that I commanded you; and behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
#1. To worship God together.
#2. To be strengthened in Christ together.
#3. To be equipped to do the work of ministry.
#4. To conduct Kingdom business together.
#5. To be touched and made whole by Jesus.
#6. To be empowered to spread the Gospel.
Three Key Ideas in Worshipping together:
B. Leviticus 26:8 KJV And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.
C. “When you come together…”
A. A celebration of who God is - Worship - His Attributes
B. A celebration of what God has done - Praise - His Actions
C. Psalm 103:7 NASB He made known His ways to Moses, His deeds to the sons of Israel.
D. Worship is centered in at least four areas of the Christian Life:
1. Worship occurs as liturgy (SYSTEMATIC) — because He is worthy (“worth-ship”).
2. Worship results when deliverance occurs — as when Jesus calmed the storm. As far as we can tell, that was the first time they collectively worshipped Him.
3. Worship is part of petition — as when Jerusalem was threatened in the days of Hezekiah; and when the church was facing early persecution in Acts 4.
4. Worship is part of personal communion (“Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs - singing and making melody in your hearts to The Lord.”)
A. These are all designed to help us know that we are more with God than we can ever be without him.
B. Little can be much if God is in it.
1. The Sabbath as worship.
2. The Tithe as worship.
3. Prayer as worship.
Christian Life Lessons
1. “Worshipping Together” is an investment and sharing of my time, my talent, my treasure, and my testimony.
2. Little is much if God is in it.
3. Less is more if God orders “the less.”
“The Dream of The Silver Eagles”