Discussion Notes (for use in a small group or individual study)
Sermon: The Sword of the Spirit
(Phone apps are good for comparing multiple translations. Study Bibles help with interpretation.)
1. Icebreaker question: What security measures have you taken to protect your home? How about your money? Finally, what defenses do you have in place to protect your spiritual life?
2. The sermon focused on the piece of the armor of God known as “the sword of the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:17). What do you remember about each of the main points? What stood out to you or impacted you?
3. Read Psalm 119:101-106
a) Why does the psalmist value God’s word?
b) How does he live this out?
c) Do you see Scripture as a good source of guidance for your life? How does this work practically for you?
d) The psalmist has taken an oath to follow God’s laws. What are the potential pros and cons of doing this?
4. Read Isaiah 55
a) Whom does God invite to come eat and drink in abundance? (55:1)
b) What does God ask in return for the abundant provisions He offers? (55:1)
c) What does it mean to take God up on his offer? In other words, what is it that He is actually offering and how do we obtain it? (55:2-3)
d) How does God contrast His thoughts and ways with ours? (55:8-9) How should this affect our desire to hear His voice?
e) How is the message of God’s Word like snow and rain? (55:10-11)
f) What is the effect of God’s Word? (55:11)
g) What description is given of a life that has been watered with God’s Word? (55:12-13)
h) What might all of this have to do with being a world changer?
5. In what ways are you getting God’s word into your life? Do you feel that it is having a good effect, or are you struggling to hear God’s voice through it?
6. Who can most help us to understand God’s word better? (see John 14:26)
7. Is there a particular passage of Scripture that you can commit to meditating on and memorizing so that the Holy Spirit can bring it to your mind when you need it most?
8. Pray together that you would have the sword of the Spirit in your life, ready for battle. And pray for any specific needs in your group.