Benefits of Fasting:
(From Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology)
1. Fasting increases our sense of humility and dependence on the Lord
2. Fasting frees up time for prayer.
3. It is a continual reminder that, just as we sacrifice some personal comfort to the Lord by not eating, so we must continually sacrifice all of ourselves to him.
4. Fasting is a good exercise in self-discipline — as we refrain from eating food, which we would ordinarily desire, it also strengthens our ability to refrain from sin.
5. Fasting also heightens spiritual and mental alertness, and a sense of God’s presence.
6. Fasting expresses earnestness and urgency in our prayers.