Jesus Is a Better High Priest - April 10, 2022
Why the Old Testament instructs the sacrifice of animals and the shedding of blood:
1) Forgiveness is costly
2) The punishment due to sin is death
3) Without the shedding of blood there can be no remission of sins
Who is the high priest and what does he do? (Heb. 5:1-4)
1) Chosen from among men
2) Acts on behalf of men in relation to God
3) Offer gifts and sacrifices for sins
4) Deal gently with sinful people because he is a sinner himself
-- a) The ignorant (those who do not know God’s Word)
-- b) The wayward (those who go against God’s Word)
-- c) He offers sacrifice for his own ignorance and wayward sin
5) Called by God
How is Jesus a better high priest? (Heb. 5:5-10)
1) Jesus is both God and man, the Son of God and the Son of Man, appointed by God as His Resurrected Son. Psalm 2:7, Acts 13:32-33
-- a) The Son of God was “begotten” into glorious new life in His resurrection!
-- b) Jesus ascended to heaven in a glorified body to become our High Priest at the throne of grace.
-- c) Jesus Christ, to become our High Priest, offered the sacrifice of Himself—and then arose from the dead!
2) Jesus acts on behalf of men in relation to God as Priest and KING. Psalm 110:4
-- a) Jesus is the Priestly KING of peace because He belongs to the order of Melchizedek. Genesis 14:17-24
3) Jesus offers prayers and was sacrificed once and for all for sin.
4) Jesus deals perfectly with sinful people because He knows temptation better than sinners and fully suffered to perfect sinners.
-- a) Jesus is the Word of God made flesh and sympathizes with our ignorance and weakness.
-- b) Jesus was tempted worse in every way yet never sinned and moves toward the wayward.
-- c) Jesus perfectly suffered, obeyed unto death, and sacrificed Himself (not an animal) to offer eternal salvation to the ignorant and wayward.
5) Jesus was designated by God as a forever High Priest.
-- a) Jesus became the sacrifice on earth so that He would become the High Priest in Heaven.