2 John: Truth and Love
I) The Epistle (Letter) Background
A) The sender: The ______________ - John.
B) The Recipient: The ___________________ - A church.
C) The purpose: Deal with itinerant ____________ teachers.
D) John cares about them and hopes to ____________ soon.
II) John's advice
A) ___________________ what God has done for you in Christ!
1) Grace: The _____________ favor of God.
2) Mercy: In Christ, we don’t get the ___________________ we deserve for our sins.
3) Peace: In Christ, we get a ______________ relationship with God.
4) This is ______________ in God’s love and truth.
B) _____________ each other well.
1) ____________ taught this too!
2) Love is walking in the truth and obeying _______ commands.
John Stott: Our love grows soft if it is not strengthened by truth, and our truth hard if it is not softened by love.
C) Hold onto the ___________ and don’t let the false teachers walk over you.
1) Some who claim to ____________ Christ are actually false teachers.
Blaise Pascal: Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.
2) They will deny Christ’s __________________.
3) We don’t have the gospel without it because Christ’s humanity ensures Christ is our perfect ______________.
4) It also negates Christ’s _______________ from the dead and the proof that he conquered sin and death.
5) We should not welcome these false teachers into our _____________.