Legacy: Faith, Character, Health, and Wealth.
Have you ever run a relay race?
Big Idea: A healthy passing of the baton happens throughout life, not at the end of life.
· Psalm 90:12 NLT – Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.
What we know about life and the passing of the baton:
· The baton will be passed whether you plan for it or not
· The baton will be passed whether you like it or not
· Everyone thinks they have more time
Scripture: 1 Chronicles 22, 28 & 29
How can I pass the baton well?
· Continue to be Faithful Now
§ Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NLT – 4 “Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. 5 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
· Dream and Plan beyond your life
§ 1 Chronicles 28:2-3 NLT – 2 David rose to his feet and said: “My brothers and my people! It was my desire to build a Temple where the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant, God’s footstool, could rest permanently. I made the necessary preparations for building it, 3 but God said to me, ‘You must not build a Temple to honor my name, for you are a warrior and have shed much blood.’
§ Romans 8:28 HCSB – 28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
§ 1 Chronicles 28:19 NLT – 19 “Every part of this plan,” David told Solomon, “was given to me in writing from the hand of the Lord.”
§ Jeremiah 29:11 NLT – 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
o David served God in his generation, and then he died. (Acts 13:36)
· Set up the Next Generation for success
§ Instructed Next Gen
· 1 Chronicles 28:9-10 NLT – 9 “And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. 10 So take this seriously. The Lord has chosen you to build a Temple as his sanctuary. Be strong, and do the work.”
§ Prepared Next Gen
· 1 Chronicles 28:11-12 NLT – 11 Then David gave Solomon the plans for the Temple and its surroundings, including the entry room, the storerooms, the upstairs rooms, the inner rooms, and the inner sanctuary—which was the place of atonement. 12 David also gave Solomon all the plans he had in mind for the courtyards of the Lord’s Temple, the outside rooms, the treasuries, and the rooms for the gifts dedicated to the Lord.
· 1 Chronicles 29:1-2 NLT – Then King David turned to the entire assembly and said, “My son Solomon, whom God has clearly chosen as the next king of Israel, is still young and inexperienced. The work ahead of him is enormous, for the Temple he will build is not for mere mortals—it is for the Lord God himself! 2 Using every resource at my command, I have gathered as much as I could for building the Temple of my God. Now there is enough gold, silver, bronze, iron, and wood, as well as great quantities of onyx, other precious stones, costly jewels, and all kinds of fine stone and marble.
What can “passing the baton” look like in your family?
How are you choosing to pass the baton to those around you?
· How can we leverage our influence, knowledge or connections for the next generation?
§ 1 Chronicles 29:28 NLT – 28 He (David) died at a ripe old age, having enjoyed long life, wealth, and honor. Then his son Solomon ruled in his place.
o This week: Read through 1 Chronicles 28 & 29.
o Evaluate: What plans and dreams has God given me that will outlast my life?
o Action: Write down a list of ways you can “pass the baton” to your family and others God has given you influence with.