Legacy - Faith, Character, Health, and Wealth.
Last week – Our Debt repellent is Contentment
i. We choose to live content keeping our eyes on our Provider and resting in His provision.
b. Ramsey+. Text us your name at 703.679.7784 if you would like the link to join Ramsey+ for free for a year.
What is a problem that you have ignored?
a. Proverbs 27:12 NLT – 12 A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
b. Psalm 24:1 NLT – 1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.
Big Idea: Doing our best to manage God’s resources well is expected and when we do, it brings us peace and freedom.
Scripture: Proverbs 27:23-27 NLT – 23 Know the state of your flocks, and put your heart into caring for your herds, 24 for riches don’t last forever, and the crown might not be passed to the next generation. 25 After the hay is harvested and the new crop appears and the mountain grasses are gathered in, 26 your sheep will provide wool for clothing, and your goats will provide the price of a field. 27 And you will have enough goats’ milk for yourself, your family, and your servant girls.
How do we manage God’s resources well?
a. Take inventory of what God has placed in your hands
i. Time, Family, Health
b. Know the current state of your resources
i. What needs attention or maintenance? What is in bad shape? What is leaking? What is losing money? Where am I spending too much?
1. Proverbs 23:4-5 NLT – 4 Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. 5 In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle.
c. Put your heart into caring for what God has entrusted to you
i. Proverbs 21:5 NLT – 5 Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.
ii. Make a plan to manage the resources well
1. Make a new budget every month that gives every dollar a name.
2. Make a sinking fund to save for resources that need replacement – like cars and appliances.
3. Put together a team of people that will help you oversee your resources.
a. Insurance Agent for Car and Life insurance, CPA for taxes, Financial Planner for investments, Lawyer for your Will
iii. Financial Peace Baby Steps – Rameysolutions.com
1. Save $1000 for your starter emergency fund.
2. Pay off all debt (except the house) using the debt snowball.
3. Save 3-6 months of expenses in a fully funded emergency fund.
4. Invest 15% of your household income in retirement.
5. Save for your children’s college fund.
6. Pay off your home early.
7. Build wealth and give.
What are the benefits to managing resources well?
a. Resources will last longer and work more optimally
b. More than enough to meet your needs
c. Live in Greater Peace and be able to bless others more often
What resource needs your attention right now? Where are you not at peace?
- Memorize: Proverbs 27:12
- Evaluate: What am I currently managing poorly? What problem am I ignoring that I need to deal with?
- Action: Take inventory of what God has put in your hands and make a plan to manage His stuff well.