GROWTH GROUP / PERSONAL REFLECTION QUESTIONS
1. When Jesus walked on the Sea, he revealed his identity as God, who calms the sea for Israel and urged them to not be afraid. In Jesus' death and resurrection, God's victory through Jesus conquered chaos, death and sin. What in your life feels "chaotic" or out of control? If God spoke into your situation, what might you hope would happen? Might God have other, unknown outcomes that still delivers you?
2. Many English translations of scripture will translate Jesus' phrase as "It is I." However, in Greek, Jesus states the phrase "I am." Do you think there is a difference between these two phrases? What might the difference be?
3. The invitation in this sign is to embrace Jesus as God and to hand over the areas of our lives that are chaotic and out of control. How can you hand over your answers from question #1 to Jesus? Prayer? Confession? Conversation with a friend?
4. From today's scripture we learn that Jesus wants to walk alongside his disciples in the midst of whatever they are dealing with. How has Jesus walked alongside you in the past?
5. If you don't know and trust Jesus as Lord, the invitation in this sign is to become one of his disciples. Is there anything holding you back from trusting him now? What is it?