Do you pay attention to expiration dates?
· Acts 13:36 NLT – …after David had done the will of God in his own generation, he died and was buried with his ancestors, and his body decayed.
Big Idea: You have a choice what kind of legacy you leave.
What areas of our life do we need to think through when we think about our legacy?
· Legacy of Faith
o What does a legacy of faith look like?
§ Belief and Trust is Jesus
· John 14:6 NLT – Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”
· Mark 12:30-31 NIV – Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
§ Hope for the Future
· 1 Peter 1:3-4 NLT – All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is by his great mercy that we have been born again, because God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Now we live with great expectation, and we have a priceless inheritance—an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay.
· Legacy of Character
o What are some of the character traits that you want to pass on to your family?
§ Galatians 5:22-23a NLT – But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
· Legacy of Health
o Healthy Body
§ James 1:17 NIV – Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
§ 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT – Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.
o Healthy Relationships
§ Proverbs 13:20 NLT – 20 Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.
· Legacy of Wealth
o As Christians, we understand this…God owns it all!
§ Psalm 24:1 NLT – The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.
§ Proverbs 13:22 NLT – 22 Good people leave an inheritance to their grandchildren, but the sinner’s wealth passes to the godly.
Think about the end of your life
· Imagine with me…the end of your journey here on earth
What does passing on a healthy legacy look like for you?
· Psalm 90:12 – Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
o Memorize: Psalm 90:12
o Evaluate: What do I want to pass on to my family?
o Action: Take some time to write down what you envision passing on to your family.