Similarities Between the First and Second Sign in John
Here are some similarities between the first two signs in John's Gospel:
1. Both take place in Cana
2. Jesus is approached by someone and asked to intervene. In the first sign, his mother asks him to provide wine. In the second sign, the royal official asks Jesus to heal his son.
3. Jesus initially doesn't agree to the request.
4. The person asking Jesus persists.
5. Jesus agrees to the request, after the person persists.
6. Multiple people believe in Jesus because of the sign. In the wedding at Cana, his disciples believe in him. After he heals the officials son, the entire household of the official believes in him.
From this, we can start to see patterns in these signs. Jesus performs some feat and this feat leads to people having deeper faith in Jesus. The purpose of the signs is to spread and deepen faith in Jesus.