Leviticus 16 & 23:26-32: The Day of Atonement:
I) The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
A) It is considered Israel’s _________ day and occurs on the 10th Day of Tishrei.
B) The people _____________ all day to show their need for repentance.
C) It was the only day the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies in the temple to atone for the sins of God’s people.
1) God is omnipresent, but he ____________ in a special way on the atonement cover (Mercy Seat) of the Ark of the Covenant.
2) The High Priest had to _________ himself as reminder he is coming into the presence of a Holy God.
3) The High Priest wore special _____________.
4) He symbolically placed his sins on a _______, then sacrificed it on the altar to atone for his and priests’ sins.
5) He opened the curtain to the Holy of Holies and put in a __________ to conceal the Mercy Seat with smoke.
6) He took the bull’s _________ and sprinkled it over the atonement cover for the forgiveness of his sins.
7) He laid his hand on “___________” goat to symbolically place the nation of Israel’s sins on it.
8) The High Priest sacrificed the “Yahweh” goat as a sin offering and sprinkled the blood over the ______________ cover for the forgiveness of their sins.
9) He sprinkled the blood of the goat and bull on the ___________.
D) The scape goat
1) The High Priest symbolically laid the _________ of Israel’s sin on the scape goat.
2) A Gentile would take the goat and release it out in the ______________ so it was never seen again.
II) How Jesus fulfilled Yom Kippur
A) Jesus is believers’ _____________ sacrifice. He has fully paid the price for our sin.
B) Jesus’ death cleanses believers from the _________ of our sin.
What guilt do you carry that you need to be released of?
C) Believers can now come into the ____________ of a holy God.
D) Christ will permanently ____________ the effects of sin and banish evil when he returns.