1. Do you think most people these days are happy? Explain your answer. If people are not happy, why do you think that is the case?
2. Where do most people turn to find happiness?
3. Read Matthew 5:1-10. To which of these “beatitudes” do you most relate?
4. Considering these beatitudes, what are some of the things that can steal our joy or happiness?
5. Read Matthew 5:3. What do you think it means to be poor in spirit? Why is it important that we be poor in spirit?
6. Can you relate to the comfort Jesus talked about in verse 4?
7. The beatitudes are “promises” more than they are “conditions for joy,” but how might we apply some of these to our lives in order to experience greater happiness?
8. What is one thing you think you can do to experience greater happiness this week?