Luke 4:1-13: Jesus’s Temptation
I) Basic observations
A) We fight _______________ adversaries (Satan and demons).
B) Christians will face ___________________.
C) Jesus’ humanity made these __________ temptations.
D) Luke crafts this narrative to compare and contrast Jesus with prominent Old Testament figures.
1) A__________(Luke 3:38)
2) M___________ (Exodus 34:28)
3) E____________ (1 Kings 19:8)
II) Jesus's Temptation
A) 1st Temptation: Turn stone into bread.
1) Christ was tempted to go ___________ the will of the Father
2) Satan tried to get Jesus to use divine power _______.
What ways are you tempted to go against God’s will?
B) 2nd Temptation: Worship Satan and gain kingdom.
1) Satan tried to get Jesus to worship & ________ him instead of God.
What things can take more of a priority in our life? What things do “worth-ship” (every sacrifice is worth it to get)?
2) Satan encouraged Jesus to grasp the ____________ without suffering the cross.
C) 3rd Temptation: Prove you are the son of God and jump!
1) Satan twisted scripture to ___________ Jesus to test God.
2) Jesus avoided testing God _________________.
What ways do you test God?
3) Jesus also trusted in God’s _____________ and plan.
What things cause you struggle trusting God’s timing and plans?
D) Satan left but kept looking for an opportune time to strike _______.
III) How Jesus fought Satan's temptation.
A) Jesus correctly ______________ God’s word.
What can you do to learn how to better apply God’s word?
B) Jesus was ________________ by the Holy Spirit.
Why is it important to know the Holy Spirit is fighting alongside you?