Luke 3:21-40: Jesus’s Baptism
I) Jesus starts his public ministry at the age of ________.
II) Why was Jesus baptized if he was sinless?
A) Although he had nothing to repent of, Jesus connected with the ____________ in their humble state.
B) All the onlookers saw that the Triune God was pleased with Jesus.
1) The ___________________ opened.
2) The Holy Spirit descended as a _____________.
3) God, the ______________________ spoke!
III) What do the Father's words teach us about Jesus?
A) He is _______________ with what Jesus is doing!
B) It shows that Jesus is the _____________Son of God.
C) “You are my son” points to Messianic _______________ in Psalm 2:7.
Jesus is the sovereign ruler over all.
D) “With you I am well pleased” reveals that Jesus is also Isaiah’s __________________ servant (Isaiah 42:1). Jesus will suffer to save.
IV) Why does Luke include the genealogy?
A) The genealogy reminds us of Jesus’s ____________________.
B) Why are Matthew and Luke’s genealogies different?
1) They are the ___________ from Abraham to David.
2) They are _______________ from David to Joseph.
3) View 1: Matthew’s goal is to prove Jesus is a king. He listed the heirs to the throne. Luke lists Jesus’s _____________ family.
4) View 2: Matthew records Joseph’s lineage. Luke records _________ family (Joseph is Heli’s adopted son.).
C) It reminds us of God’s covenantal promises.
1) Davidic Covenant: A descendant of _________ will rule forever.
2) Abrahamic Covenant: God would create for himself a _________ people.
3) Noahic Covenant: God will not destroy the earth and all humankind because of their _________ deeds.
4) Adamic Covenant. God promises to send someone to crush Satan and evil.
Which one of these promises do you need to be reminded of this week? Why?