1. This was a 400-year time period after Israel entered the promised land under Joshua and before there were any kings in Israel. This was a time of “apostasy, warfare, decline, violence, moral decay, and anarchy.”
2. This was a time when the repeating process of Israel’s sin would continue. The people would sin, God would send judgment, the people would cry for help, and God would raise up a judge to deliver them. This would happen again and again.
3. This was a time of political upheaval all over the world in multiple empires. It seems that there were “environmental stresses, a flurry of earthquakes, and a deterioration of the major superpowers.”
4. This was a time of a severe famine that overtook Israel. Famines were not uncommon and this one appeared to be widespread. Famines could be lack of waterfall, a pestilence, a plant disease, or a result of warfare.
2. From Bethlehem to Moab: Moab was generally an enemy to Israel. Moab definitely followed false gods. Chemosh was the detestable god of the Moabites and worshipped by orgies, sexual ceremonies, and even child sacrifice.
5. Naomi was alone…unprotected, with no ability to provide for the daughters-in-law or herself…and bitter against God. Naomi had lost her husband, her children, her security, her possessions, her status, her reputation, and her closeness to God.
Need prayer support? Our prayer team prays for your requests throughout the week. We love to hear how God has answered prayer! If you have a praise that God has answered a prayer and worked in incredible ways, share it with us.