GROWTH GROUP / PERSONAL REFLECTION QUESTIONS
1. When you make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, what type of jelly do you prefer?
"Grapevines grown wild, thin themselves out so much that ultimately, they produce small, sour grapes..."
2. In your life experience, have your ever stretched yourself so thin that all you could produce in your life was "sour grapes"? What were the circumstances and how did you overcome it? Did overcoming the circumstances require "pruning" some things or "aggressively pruning" some things? What do you think about the idea, pruning makes you stronger?
3. What was your reaction to pruning also being translated as catharsis / cathartic? If pruning is cathartic, then what ends up in the scrap heap? What remains? How is that cathartic?
"What we cannot do for ourselves, God is doing within us."
4. How do you see God's grace in God's pruning?
5. Bearing fruit worthy of the vine, includes the fruit of the Spirit described in Galatians 5:22, 23 - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. With God's help, which of these virtues do you feel you need to grow in?
6. Hoping to accomplish more, have you ever stopped abiding in God? How did that conclude? Did it lead to success? If not, why not? What would you do differently?
7. Is Brother Lawrence's example of simple, Christian spirituality, helpful? If not, why not? If so, how?