Questions to Ponder:
1. Have you read the book of Ecclesiastes? If so, what did you think of it?
2. What were some of the ways the first Teacher tried to find significance in life?
3. What are some things that give you significance in life? Has that changed very much over time?
4. Have you made any significant life changes since the pandemic began, or thought about making one? Do you know others who have?
5. Has it sometimes felt over the past few months that we’ve been trying to grope our way through a fog, “hevel” (Hebrew) of uncertainty? How does that impact your understanding of the text today?
6. What were some of the ways the second Teacher (Jesus) showed us our significance?
7. Jesus said in Luke 24:27 that all scriptures are about himself. Can we find Jesus in Ecclesiastes, a book which seems so negative?
Loving God, open our ears to hear your word and draw us closer to you, that the whole world may be one with you as you are one with us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.