Questions to Ponder:
1. In Ephesians 4:1-2, Paul begins his exhortation by listing five foundational characteristics of the Christian that the unity of the Church is built upon: humility, gentleness, patience, mutual forbearance, and love. In your own words, unpack what each of these characteristics mean to you.
2. In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul articulates the unity of the Church using “one” seven times. He is explaining the “unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace’. How are they all connected?
3. In verses 7-12, Paul then seems to say something different. Diversity is a characteristic and strength of a unified Church. Is he just talking about ethnicity? How can that be?
4. An aspect of spiritual maturity in a unified Church are the spiritual gifts expressed in five roles: apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher (v. 11). If you believe we are to express those at St. Paul’s, what might they look like?
5. How can you summarize all that Paul is saying about unity that can meaningfully speak into a divided and contentious world? How can St. Paul’s model that visible unity?
Loving God, open our ears to hear your word and draw us closer to you, that the whole world may be one with you as you are one with us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.