For Further Study:
Community Group Discussion (or personal homework)
For the week of February 12, 2017
Do you remember the first time you realized people were different colors?
Have you ever experienced any kind of racism? How did you handle it?
Think about how you think
· Read James 2:9. How have you and your culture favored some people over others?
· Mike talked about how racism is a sin issue, not a skin issue. Why do you think racism is at odds with God’s ways?
· There is no racism gene. So where does it come from? How do you combat it?
Questions for reflection
· What are some prejudices (racial or otherwise) you’ve recognized in yourself? What will you do with them?
· Share an experience that helped you understand things from the perspective of another race.
· Racism isn’t just what we do—sometimes it’s what we don’t do. Are you withholding from people who are different from you? What would it look like to do the opposite?
· The Good Samaritan had to cross a literal street and a racial divide to love his neighbor. What barriers will you cross?
Read Scripture about racial equality.
Romans 10:12 Colossians 3:11
Acts 10:34-35 John 13:34-35
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
God, will You break down the racial and social walls we’ve put up? Holy Spirit, reveal in our hearts any prejudice You want out. Give us the strength to love as You first loved us. Amen.