1. Did you have special Christmas traditions when you were growing up? What were they? Are there different traditions you have introduced into your own family?
2. What aspects of the Christmas story might be hard for some people to believe? Why would they be hard to believe?
3. Read Matthew 1:18-25. What do you think it was like for Joseph to hear that Mary was pregnant? What does his response to the news reveal about him?
4. Joseph must have had a lot of questions related to the angel’s message to him, and yet he readily did what he was asked to do. How do you think he was able to obey so readily?
5. After some Magi visited Jerusalem and revealed to King Herod that a baby king had been born, the baby’s life was in danger. Read Matthew 2:13-15. What doubts and fears might Joseph have had to this new directive to head to Egypt? Why did he readily obey?
6. Read Isaiah 7:14, Micah 5:2, and Hosea 11:1. These prophecies were made over 700 years before Jesus was born. What conclusions can we draw from this fact?
7. It turns out, everything unfolded for Joseph exactly as God had planned. How might this story help us to trust God more?
8. How might you apply this lesson to your life?