About this letter
John wants Christian believers to know that when we tell God about our sins, God will forgive us and take them away (1.9).
The true test of faith is love for each other (3.11-24). Because God is love, his people must be like him (4.1-21). For a complete victory over sin, we must not only love others, but we must believe that Jesus, the Son of God, is truly Christ, and that his death for us was real (5.1-12).
The Word that gives life
was from the beginning,
and this is the one
our message is about.
A quick look at this letter
1. The Word that gives life (1.1-4)
2. God is light and Christ is our example (1.5—2.6)
3. The new commandment (2.7-17)
4. The enemies of Christ and God's children (2.18—3.10)
5. God's love and our love (3.11—4.21)
6. Victory over the world (5.1-21)