Day 1 of 365 • This day’s reading
1. Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the Bible passage. Use a pen
or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the text. Periodically review your
markings to see what God is teaching you.
2. Put it into your own words. Read the passage or verse slowly, then rewrite
each phrase or sentence using your own words.
3. Ask and answer some questions. Questions unlock new discoveries and
meanings. Ask questions about the passage using these words: who, what, why,
when, where, or how. Jot down some thoughts on how you would answer
4. Capture the big idea. God's Word communicates big ideas. Periodically ask,
What's the big idea in this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?
5. Personalize the meaning. When God speaks to us through the Scriptures, we
must respond. A helpful habit is personalizing the Bible through application.
Ask: How can my life be different today as I respond to what I'm reading?
Copyright 2007 Fellowship for the Performing Arts