Last Modified on April 2, 2020
Acceptance of these Terms
Changes to the Terms
YouVersion is offered by Life.Church Operations, LLC (“Life.Church”, “we” or “us”). We may revise and update these Terms from time to time at our sole discretion. Any changes are effective when we post them. Your continued use of YouVersion following the posting of revised Terms means that you accept and agree to the changes.
Changes to YouVersion
While we hope to always offer YouVersion and all of its features, we reserve the right to change or cease offering YouVersion or any part portion or functionality of YouVersion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of YouVersion is unavailable at any time.
Information About You and Your Access of YouVersion
Permitted and Unpermitted Use
You may use YouVersion in accordance with these Terms for either your personal and non-commercial use or for the internal use of your non-profit religious organisation. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by Life.Church. You agree you are not permitted and will not use YouVersion as follows:
- in any way that violates any federal, state, local, or international law or regulation;
- for the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or otherwise;
- to impersonate or attempt to impersonate any company or person, including Life.Church or another YouVersion user;
- to engage in any other conduct which, as determined by us, may harm Life.Church or users of YouVersion or expose them to liability;
- in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair YouVersion or interfere with any other person’s use of YouVersion;
- use any robot, spider, or other automatic device, process, or means to access YouVersion for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on YouVersion;
- to introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful;
- to attempt to gain unauthorised access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of YouVersion or any server, computer, or database connected to YouVersion;
- to attack YouVersion via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack; and
- otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of YouVersion.
You also agree that you will not send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use, or re-use any material which:
- contains any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable;
- promotes sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination on any basis, including that based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person;
- violates the legal rights (including the rights of publicity and privacy) of others or contains any material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under laws or regulations;
- promotes any illegal activity, or advocates, promotes, or assists any unlawful act;
- involves commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, and other sales promotions, barter, or advertising; and/or
- gives the impression that the material emanates from or is endorsed by Life.Church or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
YouVersion contains interactive features that allow users to post, submit, publish, display, or transmit to other users or other persons content or materials (collectively, “User Contributions”) on or through YouVersion. However, we do not undertake to review User Contributions or any other material before it is posted on or through YouVersion, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. So, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications, or content provided by any user or third party.
All User Contributions must comply with these Terms. By providing any User Contribution on or through YouVersion, you grant us and our service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors, and assigns, the right to use, reproduce, modify, perform, display, license, distribute, and otherwise disclose to third parties any such material in order to offer YouVersion. You represent and warrant that you own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant this license and that all of your User Contributions do and will comply with these Terms. We are not responsible or liable to any third party for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of YouVersion.
YouVersion allows users to create an account (“Members”) which requires providing certain information to Life.Church. If you choose or are provided with a user name, password, or similar information as part of our security procedures, you agree to treat such information as confidential, and agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorised access to or use of your user name or password or any other breach of security. We have the right to disable any user name, password, or other identifier, whether chosen by you or provided by us, at any time if, in our opinion, you have violated any provision of these Terms.
Monitoring and Enforcement; Legal Compliance; Termination
You agree that we have the right to:
- take any action with respect to any user, Member account, or User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion if we believe there to be a violation of these Terms, infringement of third party rights, a threat to the personal safety of others, or a threat, liability, or harm to the goodwill associated with YouVersion or Life.Church;
- take appropriate action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement and disclosure of your information, for any illegal or unauthorized use of YouVersion; and/or
- terminate or suspend your access to all or part of YouVersion for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of these Terms.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through YouVersion. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS LIFE.CHURCH AND ITS LICENSEES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS AND ALL OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, AND DIRECTORS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES DURING OR AS A RESULT OF LEGAL INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER LIFE.CHURCH OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
Your Reliance on Information
The information presented on or through YouVersion is made available solely for general information purposes. Although we strive to provide information found on YouVersion in various languages, translations to languages other than English of YouVersion content are provided to us by other parties and we do not represent or warrant the accuracy of those translations. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to YouVersion, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Intellectual Property Rights
YouVersion and its contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video, and audio, and the design, selection, and arrangement of the same), are owned by Life.Church, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
Logos and Designs
The YouVersion name and logo, Life.Church name and logo, logo, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans are trademarks and/or copyright of Life.Church. You must not use these marks and copyright without the prior written permission of Life.Church. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans on YouVersion are the trademarks of their respective owners.
If you believe that any User Contributions or other content provided on YouVersion violates your copyright or other rights, please contact our designated agent by: (a) mail at Legal Department, Life.Church Operations, LLC, 4600 East 2nd Street, Edmond, Oklahoma 73034; (b) phone at 405-680-5433; or (c) electronic mail at email@example.com. Please be aware that it is the policy of Life.Church to terminate the user accounts of repeat infringers.
Third Party Links and Services
YouVersion may include content or links to other sites or resources provided by third parties. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to YouVersion, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by Life.Church, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Life.Church. We are not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
Life.Church is based in the state of Oklahoma in the United States. We make no claims that YouVersion or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to YouVersion may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access YouVersion from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
Disclaimer of Warranties
YOUR USE OF YOUVERSION, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY FUNCTIONALITY, SERVICES, OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH YOUVERSION IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, ALL OF WHICH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER LIFE.CHURCH NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH LIFE.CHURCH MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR AVAILABILITY OF YOUVERSION. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER LIFE.CHURCH NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH LIFE.CHURCH REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT YOUVERSION OR ANY FUNCTIONALITY CONTENT OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH YOUVERSION WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE, OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT YOUVERSION OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, OR THAT YOUVERSION OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH YOUVERSION WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
LIFE.CHURCH HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation on Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL LIFE.CHURCH, ITS LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, OR ANY OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, YOUVERSION, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT OFFERED ON OR THROUGH YOUVERSION, OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH YOUVERSION, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Life.Church, its affiliates, licensors, and service providers, and its and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors, suppliers, successors, and assigns from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses, or fees (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to your violation of these Terms or your use of YouVersion including, but not limited to, your User Contributions, any use of YouVersion content, services, and products other than as expressly authorised in these Terms or your use of any information obtained from YouVersion.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
All matters, disputes, or claims relating to YouVersion and these Terms (including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Oklahoma without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any legal suit, action or proceeding arising out of, or related to, these Terms or YouVersion shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Oklahoma in each case located in the City of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County. By agreeing to these Terms and using YouVersion, you waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
Waiver and Severability
Life.Church may only waive its rights under these Terms in writing. If any provision of these Terms is held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be eliminated or limited to the minimum extent such that the remaining provisions of these Terms will continue in full force and effect.
Your Comments and Concerns
YouVersion is operated by Life.Church Operations, LLC, an Oklahoma limited liability company. All feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to YouVersion should be directed to: YouVersion Support, 4600 E. 2nd St., Edmond, Oklahoma 73034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.