Going Deeper is designed for use with your small group, a friend or on you own. Its aim is to create time for you to spend with God and his word. Do as much or as little as you like. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact one of our pastoral staff.
1. Pray for the needs of your Life Group, for our church and our leaders, for personal and corporate renewal, and to allow God’s word to transform us. Share a recent entry from your Life Journal with the group.
2. The Sunday message focused on another of The Questions Jesus Asks: Do you want to be healed? What thoughts or questions did the message raise for you? Which thoughts or points encouraged you or posed a challenge to you?
3. Read John 5:1-18. What does this story reveal about Jesus? As you read the story, do you “see” yourself as a person looking on, the paralytic, or one of the Pharisees? Read Exodus 15:22-27; Matt 1:21-23 – how has God been your Healer?
6. Jesus asked the paralytic: “Do you want to be made well?” Why would Jesus ask that question? Put yourself in the place of the paralytic. If Jesus asked you that question, would you be confused or shocked, or would you understand the question?
7. Do you know what your “long-term condition” is? Are you still hoping for healing or have you decided to live with it? Do you think that your identity could possibly be tied to your condition? Do you have anyone to talk to about this?
8. Take a moment of silence as you consider your response to Jesus’ underlying question - Do you really desire to be well? Take time to pray about this and ask for the Lord’s wisdom in discerning the steps you need to take toward your healing.