1. Do you think it is wrong to want to please people? Why or why not? What is the difference between pleasing people and being a people-pleaser?
2. What are some potential negative consequences of doing things just to please others?
3. Can you think of a situation where you did something you knew wasn’t good just because you were afraid that others would think less of you if you didn’t do it?
4. Read Galatians 1:10. What is Paul’s argument here? How have you seen this verse “played out” in your own life?
5. Read Galatians 2:9-16. Can you summarize what was happening here? Why was it so important for Paul to confront this issue? Where do you think Paul got the courage he had to speak to Peter in this way?
6. How might choosing to please Christ in everything loosen the grip that “people-pleasing” might have on our lives?
How might you apply tonight’s lesson to your life?