Returning to our pre-Covid-19 series, we are back in 1 Peter for the final three chapters of the book. As we identify as exiles in this world, we must trust in the hope of heaven, while bringing the kingdom of God to earth. This week, we focus on how we can reflect the kingdom of God in our relationships by submitting to each other as we continue to shelter in place.
1. What marriages, families, or friendships do you admire the most and why? How have you seen them submit to one another well?
2. How do you feel about the word “submit = giving up your agenda?” How have you seen it bring life and or destruction to those around you?
3. Taken out of context 1 Peter 3:1-7 seems dated and not relevant to our times. However, how does knowing that Peter is addressing three oppressed Christian people groups in 2:13-3:7, who are under 1st century GrecoRoman rule, change your perspective on these marriage passages? What is he telling spouses to do that is in the “same way” as 1 Peter 1:21? Why?
4. Review 1 Peter 3:8-9 how are these six Kingdom attributes forms of submission to another? In this season, which attribute is most challenging to you? How are verses 10-12 from Psalm 34:12-16 declaring the blessing that comes from living out these attributes? How have you witnessed this in real life?
5. In these redundant shelter-in-place days God has given us, to whom and how is God calling you to submit as a spouse, family member, or single?
Potential Action Steps:
--Marriages - Join VOWs 2&3 ONLINE April 27 - 7pm RSVP ( link above)
--All - Apologize often / Live into the 6 Kingdom attributes / Ask others what they need from you
--All - Write a prayer submitting to God and asking for His power to guide your words/actions