Selah - a musical term - a pause, means to lift up, to exalt
In the turbulence, the trails, the tests, the tribulations we face, Davids’ advice is, Practice the Pause
Negativity Bias - our collective hunger to hear, and remember bad news.
How to Practice the Pause
1) Put down your SWORD, Pick up your SONG
Psalm 62:3 How long will all of you attack a man
to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
4 They only plan to thrust him down from his high position.
They take pleasure in falsehood.
They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse.
2) Don’t React! Rest then Respond!
1 For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation… 5 For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.
Life S.A.V.E.R.S… six steps to a transformative morning
Adapted from Miracle Morning, Hal Elrod
"They that wait upon the Lord
a) Wait in Silence
b) Wait in Meditation
c) Wait in Faith
"Waiting is nothing else but hope and trustlengthened." - John Trapp 15th century theologian
3) God, alone is your Refuge
5 For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. 7 On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. 8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.
Seven Things David says God is to him...
My Might Rock
When I put my trust in Him, I shall not be shaken
8 Surprising Ah-ha Moments About Rest In the Bible
1. Rest is emotional honesty.
2. Rest is a return to your true identity.
3. Rest is relational vulnerability. Rest is experienced with a real person.
4. Rest is radical and counter-cultural.
5. Rest isn’t failure. Rest is spiritual intimacy.
6. Rest is God’s beauty in nature.
7. Rest is sleep.
8. Rest is giving yourself grace to receive all the good, instead letting in guilt.