Zechariah’s song of praise falls into two parts: Praises and Prophecy
First Stanza: “Praises for the Coming Messiah” (vv. 68-75)
The first (verses 68-75) is a song of thanksgiving for the realization of the Messianic hopes of the Jewish nation
vv. 68-70 – God “has come” or God has visited His people
· The Lord has, in the past made Israel’s people free.
· Here it means that God will rescue his people by means of the Christ.
· Many thought that this was a political rescue.
· But the work of the Christ was to make people free from sin and death.
· This work of the Christ was not only reserved for Israel but also people from every nation and every tongue that call on Jesus.
vv. 71-75 – God defeats our enemies
· The promise to Abraham was that God would defeat the enemies of his descendants.
· The descendants of Abraham include all who believe in the Lord Jesus (Galatians 3:7-9).
· The enemies Jesus defeats are not people but principalities: Satan, sin, and death.