* Legalism has always been a temptation of the church *
• Paul’s admonition of the Galatians for trying to ensure their salvation by works of Law
• Various holiness groups shun anyone who drinks coffee, plays cards, etc.
* Like the Galatians, and some today, the audience of this letter seemed to be doubting the superiority and freedom found in the New Covenant.
• The New Covenant IS SUPERIOR
• We have a high priest appointed not on the basis of legal descent, but of an indestructible life (16)
• Unlike the priests of old, the New High Priest was made so by God’s divine oath (20-21)
* Again, the argument is not that the old covenant was worthless, but that it was a SHADOW, a PICTURE of what was to come when the real high priest took His place!
• Instead of having to look forward to a day when God will solve the problem of sin
• We can now look BACK to the CROSS AT CALVARY as the ANSWER to the problem. That is why the New Covenant is SUPERIOR!
• No longer sacrificing bulls and Goats—Jesus was the sacrifice!
• We can now rejoice in the one who has provided PERFECT ATONEMENT!
• We do not have a mediator who has sinned as we have (old)
• We have a mediator without sin!
• We have, not a shadowy promise, but a GLORIOUS FULFILLMENT!
* This Covenant is greater because Jesus is Greater!
• A Priest who Saves Perfectly