In search of the real meaning of Christmas
Matthew 2:1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him.4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written:
6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’” 7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”
9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
The Magi did 3 things
· They SAW the star and pursued it
· They Saw the Child and worshipped Him
· The opened their treasure and presented Him with gifts
Matthew 2:1 Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, 2 “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.”
· Christmas reminds us that there is a process between the birth of a promise and the fulfillment of it. But Possibilities have to be seen! Expected and Recognized.
· Daniel 9:24 “A period of seventy sets of seven has been decreed for your people and your holy city to finish their rebellion, to put an end to their sin, to atone for their guilt, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to confirm the prophetic vision, and to anoint the Most Holy Place. 25 Now listen and understand! Seven sets of seven plus sixty-two sets of seven will pass from the time the command is given to rebuild Jerusalem until a ruler—the Anointed One—comes. Jerusalem will be rebuilt with streets and strong defenses, despite the perilous times.
· Numbers 24:17a - I see him, but not here and now. I perceive him, but far in the distant future. A star will rise from Jacob; a scepter will emerge from Israel.
· Micah 5:2 But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you, one whose origins are from the distant past.
· Where are you looking for answers in your life?
· The success of the journey is recognizing the purpose in all the steps. God is a big picture God.
Who were the Magi?
Wise Men. Kings from the East.
· Magi were Royal court appointed advisors to the Royal Families they served.
· Some in fact had royal bloodlines. So they were very honored and esteemed.
· They were Astrologists/Astronomists who the king employed as advisors on spiritual matters.
· The Magi who sought the star were believed to be from Babylon who have been influenced by the teachings and prophecies of the Prophet Daniel over 400 years earlier.
· Daniel was one of Royal blood who was sent into captivity by Nebuchadnezzar. Daniel had the opportunity to interpret his dream and because of its’ accuracy was appointed as head of all the magicians, seers and soothsayers that were employed by the king.
1 Timothy 1: 17 All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen.
· All the things that the world has to offer have a shelf life. It is not eternal in God’s kingdom. It may have an eternal dynamic but it is not LIFE.
· This world has made an art of commercializing life.
· Psalm 35:5 God’s love is meteoric, his loyalty astronomic, His purpose titanic, his verdicts oceanic. Yet in his largeness nothing gets lost; Not a man, not a mouse, slips through the cracks.
· Colossians 1:15-18 We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.