Vs 10: If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept the Fathers commandments and abide in His love.
As opposed to earning love, obeying Jesus’ commandments leads us into the very real experience of His Perfect Love.
We abide in love by obeying love.
Dallas Willard defines a disciple of Jesus as someone who…
1. trusts Jesus and that He is who and what He says He is.
2. spends time with Jesus in order to learn how to live his or her own life as Jesus would live it was Jesus the disciple
3. rearranges his or her life in order to keep doing that.
Vs 11: These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.
Remaining in the hands of Perfect love is the only life that is truly joy-full.
· During lunch or supper or possibly both this week, take time to think about some of the things you have done up to that point in the day. Look back on some of the decisions you made, things you did, words you said, etc… See if you can identify how you were doing whatever it was in an effort to secure joy in some way.
· Pick one of those things and see if there was an opportunity to obey Jesus in it that you didn’t take? What would it have looked like to go the way of Jesus in that situation? Could you plan to listen to / obey Jesus in that situation if it were to come again?
· Read and Reflect on: