Second Stanza: “Rescuing Power” (vv. 51-55)
1. He will rescue the helpless (v. 51)
Note the opening line of v. 51: He has done a mighty deed with His arm.
· Mary saw as already accomplished what God would do through her son.
· The salvation of Jesus is to the humble not the proud
2. He will exalt the humble (v. 52)
God toppled the mighty from their thrones & exalted the lowly.
Nebuchadnezzar was the most powerful man on earth. Daniel 4 details the sudden and stunning deposing of this mighty man.
· Nebuchadnezzar declared the truth:
· "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt, and glorify the King of heaven, because all His works are true and His ways are just. And He is able to humble those who walk in pride." (Dan. 4:37)
3. He will fill the hungry, v. 53
"He has satisfied the hungry with good things and sent away the rich empty." God is looking for people who are hungry for Him; He passes right by the self-sufficient.
· "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness because they will be filled" (Matt. 5:6)