Luke 16:19-31: Rich Man and Lazarus
I) The parable
A) The rich man lived a luxurious life on earth.
1) He wore expensive _______________ and ate exquisite meals.
2) He lived in a fancy _______________ home.
B) Lazarus lived a needy and destitute life on earth.
1) He was sick crippled _____________, who was brought to the rich man’s gate hoping that he would show mercy and provide help.
2) He was considered _____________ by the Jews because the dogs licked his sores.
C) Their situations are ________________ in the afterlife.
1) Lazarus is given a place of _________ next to Abraham in heaven.
2) The rich man ends up in Hades / ____________.
D) The rich man makes three demands.
1) Have Lazarus come and _________ me off with water! Surprisingly, he doesn’t ask to be brought up to heaven just temporary relief in hell.
2) Send Lazarus to ___________ my brothers!
Implied in this request is an notion that the rich man is in hell because he didn’t have all the information.
3) Abraham you don’t __________ anything.
My brothers won’t listen to God’s word. Only a dead man can get their attention.
II) This parable teaches . . .
A) There is eternal life after _____________.
B) Hell is full of people trying to _____________ themselves.
C) Heaven is full of people who rely on Christ’s death (God’s _______) for salvation.
Lazarus’s name means “the one whom God helps.”
D) The ____________________ are close to God’s heart.
1) When believers feel weak, they can remember that God is _________ them in their pain.
2) Believers should strive to not be self-________________ and look out for others’ needs.