RUNNING THE RACE 5
Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
Three areas of vision and Growth
· Disciples making Disciples (Mission as a body of believers)
· Spiritual Health/Growth/Life (Maturity)
· Celebration (Connection and Encouragement)
Acts 1: 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
· Every believer is called to be a disciple, and every disciple is called to be a disciple maker.
Luke 16:19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.
· Purple was an incredibly expensive garment.. he was incredibly rich
· Lazarus was so poor he had no home and no help.
22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and he went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’
· The rich man died and had an honored burial but ended up in torment.
· Lazarus died and was ignored, but was escorted by Angels to Abraham
Luke 16:25-28 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’ 27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home. 28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’
· Abraham frames a perspective we need to embrace. We are living for eternity, not temporary.
Luke 16:29-31 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’ 30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’ 31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
· God wants to work through us to share our story, His story, our life, so He can work in peoples hearts about the reality of eternity and the futility of finding meaning in the temporary.
· Bringing others to Jesus is the call of every disciple! Every member of the Body of Christ is a minister!
· God’s Story
· Christ’s Birth to Death and Resurrection
· The meaning of the cross and how it impacts humanity and us personally.
Revelation 12:11 And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony. And they did not love their lives so much that they were afraid to die.
Testimony = My Story, His Story.
· A few weeks ago we talked about sharing our story, today we want to focus on His Story
John 3:16 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
1 Corinthians 15:1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. 3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
Four Symbols, Evangecube, Three Circles
Be discipled to make disciples, join our training.