Staying in Love - Part 3
Primary text: Proverbs 4:23
In our series Staying in Love, we have been talking about some very practical things. There are actions that if we could build into our life would help us stay in love. But the truth is that staying in love is a little more complicated than that. We have to deal with some of the deep-seeded things going on in our hearts. Where is God wanting to challenge you in this area of your life?
1. What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
2. In the marriages of people you know, what are the typical kinds of baggage from the past that seem to surface unexpectedly?
3. In a situation where there may be conflict or hurt in a marriage, why is it so important to first understand what's going on in our own hearts?
4. In what ways have you found yourself monitoring your spouse's behavior in regard to situations involving potential conflict or disappointment?
5. What can help us to more clearly understand the baggage from our pasts as it impacts our marriages today? What can help us not ignore it or suppress it?
6. What can help us be more accepting of the fact that the "marriage problems" we encounter are very often individual "heart problems" that we need to identify, understand, and face up to?
7. There is a sense of freedom that comes when we finally identify the emotional baggage that we've brought into our relationships. Can you sense how attractive and enjoyable that freedom would be? What do you think it would typically lead to in a marriage relationship?
8. How can we encourage each other to respond to what God has for us?